Friday, May 1, 2009

Swine Flu Fever

I have resisted posting about the swine flu all week to see how things would unfold. Now we have our first confirmed case in the area, so it's a great time to address it. Warning: This post is heavy on my opinion so please go to the links provided for up-to-date information.
I have counted my blessings that this does not affect any of my current clients' itineraries, so I have not received one call about it! Thank goodness, because I happened to be sick and could barely talk. No matter what I said I am sure it would not have sounded very convincing since Cancun was my last trip. Never mind that was almost three months ago...CNN seems to think if you have ever thought about Mexico, been in a school or public place you are possibly infected. Can you tell I am a bit irritated?
The media coverage has just been unreal surrounding this! I have always looked at the media with a critical eye by training (my former career before travel was public relations) and lately they have just made my blood boil. The facts of this virus are buried beneath alarming headlines and dire warnings. Irresponsible reporting has been the real epidemic in my opinion and it has reached epic proportions the last year. Today I read in the AJC that Cancun was the epicenter of the outbreak. Really? Thought that was Mexico City. Do they realize that there are more cases in the U.S. than Mexico now? Are we now advising travelers to avoid New York? I monitor news updates from reliable sources who are not seeking ratings to get the most accurate information and still make sure to add a little common sense to that. I have yet to see the CDC advocate face masks as an everyday precaution. (But boy, those mask manufacturers must be doing a happy dance right now) The precautions they do suggest are things we should do anyway! Namely, wash your hands frequently. Use sanitizer, stay away from other people if you are sick. These simple little things will go much further in preventing infection than panic. You would be amazed at the number of people who know they are sick, yet go on about their day because they don't want to ruin their vacation or miss out on their cruise. People with some kind of bug are always around, not just when there's a catchy name for the virus of the moment.
Now that cruise lines are altering itineraries I am getting nervous, but not about the flu. Not everyone has decided Mexico is purgatory and some do look forward to specific ports of call on their cruises. I also feel for the local communities that depend so heavily on tourism. The faltering economy, drug violence at the border (another example of sloppy reporting) and natural disaster have already done a number on tourism. Real people depend on jobs that depend on tourists. We don't travel, they don't eat. I hope this will blow over soon once the next big thing in news comes along.

http://cdc.gov/h1n1flu/

No comments:

Post a Comment