Tuesday, May 5, 2009

H1N1 part 2

I had a nightmare about swine flu yesterday that made me realize just how anxious I am about all the hysteria and panic. In my dream, I was on a plane that the government had decided should crash because there was a possibility that passengers were infected. Everyone onboard gathered around the cockpit begging the pilot not to do it, but he said he had no choice. The government told him he had to crash and he already had a spot picked out. People continued to talk to him and the 'government' on speakerphone and just when they were softening up...I coughed. Of course the mob turned on me and were about to throw me out of the plane when I woke up with my heart racing and sweating like I was doing yardwork.

On the Tripadvisor message boards someone posted pictures and wrote about how odd it is to see Cancun so quiet right now. That still makes me sad that many people will potentially lose their jobs over this and an already shaky economy will get worse for even more people, in Mexico and the United States.
They also noted that people aren't walking around with masks on and freaking out like we are here.  Those just returning from trips are raving about what a great time they had with resorts at only 30% capacity.  The service was over the top, pools and beaches are not crowded etc.  If I could go right now, I would definitely be there. 
Those that have chosen to change their plans seem to choose Aruba or Punta Cana as alternates.  Cruises are also a favorite summertime vacation, but with the numerous 'kids stay free' promotions all-inclusives are pricing very competitively this summer for families.   

Thankfully the wave of panic is subsiding a little, but once you've opened the gate it's hard to get all the cows back in. Now the pork industry is out in full force setting things straight. The President and media are more commonly referring to the swine flu as H1N1 to allay the public's fears about pigs. They are finally saying the masks are silly and ineffective if you are not sick.

I am over the cold I had last week thank goodness, so I hope there will be no more witch hunt dreams. My son however, has had a chronic runny nose and cough for months so we do get a few nervous glances at the playground. We've been playing in the backyard a little more than usual. I don't want one of the panic victims to freak out and throw him in the duck pond. (On a side note, he is having his adenoids removed at the end of the month, so please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. It is a very minor surgery, but it's still scary to us!)

No comments:

Post a Comment