Friday, April 3, 2009

When it Rains it Pours!

The clouds are finally parting here after almost a week of rainy weather. The weather just echoed my mood with much of my time devoted to solving communication problems. Pouring meaning I had issues with snail mail and e-mail at the same time! It's times like these that make me afraid of our dependence on computers for just about everything.
I completely stopped recieving mail and after a long talk with the post office found out someone mistakenly directed my mail in the postal system computers 'return to sender'! I had no idea it was that easy to comletely screw up someone's mail. Apparently things don't even go to your local office before being rerouted anymore. It's all computerized. A wrong keystroke by an employee entering someone else's forwarding or mail stop order can send your things clear across the country without you ever knowing the difference. I had no idea that the postal system was even that advanced. Reminds me of that scene in the movie Eagle Eye where the packages were rerouted by the big computer. I thought only FED EX and UPS tried to be efficient =) Who knew the government could too!
My ISP, AT&T decided to have a problem communicating with other servers at the same time this week. In particular I could not send or recieve anything from hotmail addresses. This then spread to emails coming from GSG as well as my personal address. As of today it looks like all of the problems are fixed. Now I'm going to enjoy the sunshine this weekend!

If you sent me anything recently that was not replied to or recieved any returned mail please let me know. Most likely I never got it. I always respond to e-mails within 24 hours or you'll get an away message.

No comments:

Post a Comment